Colorado is well-known for its unpredictable weather. And if this cool, wet summer is any indication, we might be in for a snowy winter – but who knows. Sandbox Solar is your local, Colorado solar installer, and we know a thing or two about solar in the winter. In fact, we frequently get asked how solar panels perform in the winter in Colorado. Well, the good news is that solar in the winter is nearly as good as solar in the summer in Colorado. Here’s why:
- Winter Is Still Sunny – We average well over 250 sunny days a year in Northern Colorado (much higher than the national average), which means there is still plenty of sun in the wintertime to power your panels. Better yet, snow doesn’t stick around here as it does in other parts of the country. Sure, it’ll snow, but that snow will melt rather quickly.
- Snow Can Actually Improve Output – You read that right. It’s a common myth that snowy, cold weather stops solar panel energy production, but it’s often just that – a myth. Snow reflects the sun, which can make your panels put out even more power than they would normally. The only thing that stops solar energy production is your panels being completely covered in snow.
- Cool Conditions Are Better for Your Panels – Like many electronics, the cool weather of winter is actually better for your panels than the super hot days of the summer. The panels are most efficient when they’re cool because they don’t have to waste energy to keep themselves from getting too hot. So next time it’s cool outside, think of it as the weather giving your panels a bit of a break.
- Beat Time-of-Day Pricing – For those living in the City of Fort Collins who use electricity to heat your home, you will be paying nearly 3 times as much for the energy used from 5 to 9 pm, some of the coldest hours of the day. But with solar energy, you don’t have to worry about that. Heat your home as warm as you like without worrying about the cost of electricity.
- Solar Installation Can Be Quicker in the Winter – As your local, Colorado solar installer, we’re here to let you in on a little secret: solar panel installation is often quicker in the winter because the rush is over. We’re still accepting clients for the winter months, but often we’re not as busy, so you can often the waitlist for solar installs isn’t as long. Contact us to learn more about scheduling your project.
- Take Advantage of the Full Rebates by the End of 2019 – And in case you haven’t heard, the federal tax credits for solar energy will be reduced at the end of 2019. You only have a couple of months to take advantage of these savings. Learn more about the solar tax credits here.
Sandbox Solar, a top local, Colorado solar installer, is here to help you determine whether solar is right for you this winter (or any other month of the year!). We provide free solar quotes for your home or business, and we’re happy to answer any questions you may have about solar. Contact us to schedule a consultation or to learn more about Sandbox Solar – a Colorado solar installer.