Now that winter is approaching, it’s a good time to think about ways to save on your energy bill. If your home is not properly equipped for the winter, you could end up with larger energy costs than you would like. Sandbox Solar, your local solar company, has tips for you to maximize your home efficiency in Colorado during winter.
When it comes to energy costs, winter can be challenging. The days are shorter and colder, so we tend to turn more lights on and turn the heat higher. Your energy bill will be affected if your home is not winterized and is losing heat. Here are a few ways you can make your home more energy efficient this winter:
- Lower the Thermostat: If you set your thermostat to 68 degrees, it will operate less and use less energy. Turning it down several degrees at night or while you are gone at work during the day could save you money on your energy bill every year.
- Replace Incandescent Light Bulbs: Incandescent light bulbs use much more energy than other alternatives. Replacing the light bulbs in your home with light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs or compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) will lower your energy bill. LEDs, for example, use 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs and last significantly longer.
- Wash Clothes in Cold Water: If you can avoid running your washer with hot water, it is worth it. Most of the energy used by your washer is used to heat the water. When you use cooler water, it uses significantly less energy. According to ENERGY STAR, you could save $30 to $40 a year if you use cold water to wash your clothes instead of hot.
- Weatherizing: You can increase your winter home efficiency in Colorado by 30% or more with simple weatherizing techniques. Most home energy loss is caused by improperly sealed windows and doors. If you have drafty windows, you can add weatherstripping around frames or seal the cracks with caulk. Sealing cracks and gaps is an inexpensive and easy way to lower energy costs during the winter. Adding a storm door can give you an extra layer of protection from cold weather. Storm doors help prevent the loss of heat from your home, resulting in lower energy costs.
- Add Insulation: Insulation is your first defense when it comes to losing cooled or heated air. Insulating your attic can lower your home’s heating cost. It is also the easiest and most cost-effective way to insulate your home. Other places that are beneficial to insulate for the winter are crawl spaces, unfinished basements, and walls.
- Install Solar Panels: Home efficiency in Colorado during winter is easy with solar panels. The great thing about Colorado is that even in winter, we have sunshine. With 250 days of sunshine, solar panels are just as beneficial in the winter as they are in the summer. Reduce your energy bill by having Sandbox Solar install panels on your home.
You can also keep your energy bill lower by taking advantage of TOD pricing in Fort Collins. The current TOD peak hours are 5 to 9 PM. If you use less electricity during non-peak hours, your bill will be lower. Solar panels can help you avoid the extra charges of time-of-day pricing because you can draw from the energy of your solar panels during peak hours. Energy your solar panels produce that you don’t use immediately is sent to the grid in exchange for credits on your electric bill. This allows you to draw energy from the grid during the night but not pay any extra money.
Enhancing the energy efficiency of your home doesn’t have to be difficult. As a homeowner in Colorado, you should use these tips to prepare for winter and keep your energy bills low.
If you are looking to reduce your energy bill and improve your home efficiency in Colorado this winter, Sandbox Solar can help. We offer rooftop and ground mount solar panels for your home. To learn more and get an estimate, contact us today!