We’re lucky to live in a time when nearly everything is connected over the internet, and as a result, we can enjoy many comforts that previously were simply unavailable. With this newfound connectedness, homeowners are able to enjoy the many amenities provided by smart home technology. As this form of smart tech becomes more readily available, one of the most common questions we hear at Sandbox Solar is, “Should I invest in smart home technology?”
Smart home technology refers to the use of “devices connected to the Internet of things (IoT) to automate and monitor in-home systems. It stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.” Many devices fall into the category of smart home technology, including smart thermostats, security monitoring systems, appliances and nearly anything else in your home that now has the capability of connecting to the internet and communicating with other devices like your phone or computer.
In general, smart home technology is designed to make your home more comfortable, safe, and enjoyable – all while reducing your energy consumption and lowering your energy bill. If you’re deciding whether or not to invest in smart home technology, here are a few reasons to consider making the switch:
- Lower Your Energy Bill – By adding smart home devices to your house, such as smart thermostats and smart appliances, your home can begin to learn your habits and reduce your energy consumption to save money on your energy bill and reduce your footprint. For instance, if you leave the lights on or the garage door open by accident, your smart home app can alert you as such and allow you to fix the issue even if you’re not there.
- Security – Many smart home devices have made leaps and bounds of advances to keep your home and family safe, even if you’re not there. You can now install devices that tell you when someone’s at the door, others that show a video feed of many locations in and around your home, and smart alerting technology that will call for help if you need it.
- Constant Monitoring – When your home is connected via smart technology, your devices will begin to recognize extraneous energy use in and around the home and help you take note of which energy consumers should be powered down when you’re not using them. For instance, did you leave on that computer that you never use any more? Or maybe your air conditioner runs at inopportune times. Your smart devices will constantly monitor your energy consumption and help you find ways to reduce it. In the era of Time-of-Day Pricing in Fort Collins, knowing more about your energy use can be a valuable cost-saving tool.
- Comfort – One of the best reasons to invest in smart home technology is the added comfort it brings to your home. Not only will you feel safer with added security technology, but also will have your home set up in a way that works for you. When you walk into the room, your favorite radio station can be playing, your temperature preferences set, and so on.
- Interconnectedness – When you begin to outfit your whole home with smart technology, you can program your devices to communicate with one another so that the energy load is spread throughout the day and your consumption is managed as efficiently as possible. Furthermore, your devices can all communicate with one another to make your home even for comfortable. For instance, your smart assistant device like Alexa can turn on the lights in your kitchen just by giving a verbal command if the two smart devices are connected. With this power, you can make your home function just how you want it without much trouble.
- Value Add – Just like an investment in solar technology, adding smart home upgrades to your home is a great value add if you think you’ll be selling the place in the near future. Buyers love to see homes that are already equipped with smart tech because it will make the home more comfortable and safe, and also it tells them that you as a homeowner invested in the property and took care of every detail. Adding in smart home amenities is a great way to set your home apart from others on the market.
Ready to invest in smart home technology? Contact Sandbox Solar! We’re not just your local solar company; we’re also here to help you with your smart home upgrades. We’ll help you run the numbers and determine which upgrades make the most sense for your home and energy goals. We offer free consultations, and we’re happy to walk you through the pros and cons of smart home options to help you decide whether or not to invest in smart home technology. Contact us to learn more!